Statement of YOPP/PPP to align with WMO Gender Action Plan
The Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP) has been initiated as one of the flagship activities of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) World Weather Research Program’s (WWRP) Polar Prediction Project (PPP) to support international research to improve polar weather and environmental forecasting in polar regions.
As a WMO initiative, YOPP/PPP align with the WMO principles concerning diversity and gender equality matters, i.e. selection of individuals involved with YOPP/PPP shall be without regard to origin, race, creed, political belief, or gender (regardless of gender identification).
With regard to gender balance, following the WMO Gender Action Plan settled at the CAS-17 in October 2017, YOPP/PPP will
- promote the active role of female experts engaged in YOPP/PPP;
- urge members to increase participation and involvement of women in research activities of YOPP/PPP;
- ensure that communication materials/tools highlight gender issues, avoid gender bias and value the experience of researchers and professionals irrespective of gender identification;
- call for new approaches in education and training of scientists, independent of their gender and nationality and in development and dissemination of knowledge (e.g., Polar Prediction School);
- strengthen the capacity of young professionals, and especially young female professionals, in YOPP/PPP activities;
- make an effort to increase gender balance in the PPP Steering Group and YOPP Task Teams; and
- keep considering, monitoring and questioning what is the obstruction for achieving gender equality within the YOPP/PPP community if necessary.