***Save the Date***
Exactly one year from now, the Year of Polar Prediction (YOPP) Final Summit will take place in Montreal (QC), Canada, 1-4 May 2022. The conference will bring together the polar prediction community, from operational centres and academia, to environment services and polar prediction users and northern communities, to showcase the successes of YOPP and contribute to the legacy of the Polar Prediction Project.
Topics to be discussed during the meeting will be on the representation of polar processes in numerical models, especially coupling of the atmosphere, ocean & sea ice; ocean and sea-ice modelling and services; the MOSAiC expedition and polar observation campaigns; supersite multi-variate observations and process studies (YOPPsiteMIP); Observing System Experiments and reanalyses in polar regions; teleconnections linking polar weather to mid-latitudes predictability; science to services: tailoring polar forecasting products and services to meet user needs; societal and economic implications of accessible, relevant, and useable forecasts. Participation of early career scientists is warmly encouraged, to shape the future of polar science.
Amongst others, science plenary speaker will include:
- Petteri Taalas (WMO), Secretary General of WMO
- Thomas Jung (AWI), Chair of PPP steering group
- Gilbert Brunet (BoM), Previous WWRP-SSC chair and Chief Scientist Australia
- Peter Bauer (ECMWF, Deputy Director Research Department
- Gunilla Svensson (Stockholm University), PPP steering group and co-chair of YOPPSiteMIP
- Gregory Smith (ECCC), Former PPP steering group member
- Matthew Shupe (CIRES-NOAA), Co-Coordinator of MOSAiC
- Jackie Dawson (University of Ottawa), Canada Research Chair
- Karin Strand (Hurtigruten) Vice President Expedition, Norway
Further information on registration and abstract submission is available here.
Download the flyer here.
- Thomas Jung (Chair PPP SG, AWI)
- Kirstin Werner (ICO, AWI)
- Barbara Casati (PPP SG, ECCC)
- Greg Smith (ECCC)
- Jim Abraham (Vice President, CMOS)
- Gordon Griffith (Executive Director, CMOS)
- Jørn Kristiansen (PPP SG, Met Norway)
- Gita Ljubicic (PPP-SERA, McMaster University)
- Clare Eayrs (YOPP Education, NYU Abu Dhabi)
- Jeff Wilson (ICO)
- Estelle De Coning (WMO WWRP)
- Wenchao Cao (WMO WWRP)